2/22/05
For a long time I have been interested in the way stories communicate values, beliefs, history, and meaning intergenerationally. Last summer I created this blog site, intended to transmit some of my family stories but also to show the way in which they continue to resonate in the here and now. The idea, which tended to lean pretty heavily toward self indulgent ramblings, hasn't gelled successfully... But that's ok. In starting this, I had a vague idea that there was a kernel of something that could be applied on a broader scale, but I wasn't sure what it was or who else might be able to help me sort it out. The important thing seemed to be to fall forward and begin, however ineptly, to try to parlay the storytelling process into an illustrative example of how we arrive at our individual truths.
In my search for ideas and material, I recently stumbled upon a wealth of resources that opened up a whole different avenue for development.
I am now in the process of trying to arrange with someone to sponsor me in an independent studies course on this topic next term. I don't know if or how this will work out. Regardless, I have a long list of readings, websites, and possible workshops that I can access on my own.
I guess I'm writing this partly to put it out there, in case anyone has similar interests, ideas or suggestions and maybe mostly for my own benefit, to help me focus my still-amorphous ideas, and partly just to say to whoever's out there that this is what I'm working on.