My father loved:
Heat
Sleeping late
Staying up late
Music of any variety, particularly jazz
Coffee (black)
Talking at great length on any topic to anyone present, listening or not
Smoking (unfiltered)
Puzzles
Reading
Donuts
Sarcasm
Practical jokes
Farting
Laughing at his own witticisms
Plants
Gardening
Working hard
Heat
Delving into anything unfamiliar
Heat
My nephew Hank, whom I introduced a couple of posts back, emailed me about a year ago
"that reminds me of the time Grandpa hit "Hot Damn" idol status in my fairly thin book. Everybody, excluding himself, was scared that there was a gas leak coming from the heater. So, waxing sarcastic, he offered to show me a real gas leak, and then continued on to prove that there was no gas leak by smoking several cigarettes while working inside of the allegedly leaky heater. During this, the assembled people, including my Dad, nibbled nails and clutched their blankies. Now don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate of excessive risk, senseless endangerment, or UNIX, however, those proving a point with an all or nothing gamble will always receive the nod and be granted the due amount of admiration, regardless of their success or failure. I don't remember what happened next but I'm not dead, supposedly, so there must have been a happy ending."
Request to anyone who knew my dad, especially to siblings: Hey, help me out, man! In order to avoid being further dunned like this, please share your perspective!
Or not. Whatever.